Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How do I use technology in my life and classroom?

I don't consider myself to be super "tech savvy" so when I bought an iPhone last year my kids looked at me like I'd grown a third eye in the middle of my forehead!  "Overkill," my 24 year old daughter said.  "Good luck with that!" my 19 year old son said.  Well, I am absolutely in love with my iPhone and am venturing forward and even checking email and updating my Facebook status with my phone.  I guess you could say that I am growing into it!

In my building each teacher has a MMTS (Multi-Media Teaching Station) with a computer, document camera and InFocus machine.  I use my document camera and InFocus machine DAILY with my students.  My daily announcements are crafted in PowerPoint and projected onto the whiteboard where students can write down all the information in their agendas.  I project assignments onto the whiteboard then have students come up and work the problems.  I show video clips from YouTube and United Streaming that are content-related and relevant.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Gapminder and Tableau Public and how I can integrate those vizes (see ... I learn fast!) into lessons that make the learning come more alive for my students!

2 comments:

  1. You sound a bit like me in the tech field. Yesterday I received my HTC Thunderbolt cell phone...and I am a bit intimidated by it...trying to figure out everything it can do and the difference between an app and a widget

    But I will figure it out eventually:)

    I love all the technology that I get to use teaching...but one of our issues is that we do not have enough computers to go around...so next year when I am teaching geometry...I will not be able to use Geometer's Sketchpad very often with my students due to the lack of student computers:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,

    We are a team of four in Professor Hazeline Asuncion's CSS 503 class, and we will be working with you, Nick, and Bryndal this quarter in the delivery a software product or service that will help in meeting your needs regarding the use of technology in education.

    As the preliminary step for this ongoing partnership we'd like to all get together to introduce ourselves and talk about the product that you three as a group would like delivered. To see if this is possible given our schedules let's get an email list with all of us included to see if we can work something out. If you could please send me your preferred email at marcod@uw.edu, we can get this project rolling. Looking forward to working with you this quarter.

    Thanks,
    -Marco

    ReplyDelete